Friday, May 25, 2012

The Bonfire of George Zimmerman: I Think I've Seen This Before

A publicity photo for The Bonfire of the Vanities.
L-R: Tom Hanks, Melanie Griffith & Bruce Willis


                    The Bonfire of George Zimmerman: I Think I've Seen This Before


      If you haven't been spending time in an alternate universe of late, you may have heard SOMETHING of the George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin bust up. Or at least seen something of the resultant media circus. As I watched it unfold I wondered, did Tom Wolfe choreograph this?

      Whatever, I do believe that as the facts come in about the fracas a lot of people about a year from now are going to have egg on their faces after the smoke clears from the trial. Provided of course Mr. Zimmerman isn't conned into a plea bargain.

      While we're all waiting on tinterhooks in the months ahead, I would like to suggest you take in a film I  previously reviewed on this humble blog: The Bonfire of the Vanities. In its' portrayal of media hype the film has a lot of similarities to the several weeks of "performance art" the public was recently subjected to.

      Warning: If your sentiments are on one side of what happened, you will find this movie amusing. If they're on the other, your blood may boil. Be that as it might, no matter where you stand, you will find The Bonfire of the Vanities interesting.


My review of The Bonfire of the Vanities here.

Wikipedia review of the film here.

Wikipedia review of the novel here.

Wikipedia bio of author Tom Wolfe here.

Definition from Wikipedia of the term: "bonfire of the vanities" here.

Go to Main Page here.

No comments:

Post a Comment