Sunday, August 28, 2011

Neon Genesis Evangelion: OOOOO! Goodies In The Mail!

Here're most of the protagonists (Plus a couple of "villains".) in the series &
a "friend". Clockwise: Unit 01, Asuka Langley Soryu, Gendo Ikari, Ritsuko
Akagi, Rei Ayanami, Shinji Ikari, & Misato Katsuragi. Credit: Gainax
                      Neon Genesis Evangelion: OOOOO! Goodies In The Mail!

                                                                 by

                                                                    Jay Agan

      I up n' dun' it. After You Tubing End of Evangelion I broke down & sent out to Amazon for the movie, the series (Platinum edition. With the six "directors cut" episodes.), & Death and Rebirth ..... USED. Have no intention of spending too much on ANYTHING  let alone some discs. Was able to get End & the series at about half, & spent less than ten bucks on D & R (Good thing too. If you have the series & End, you don't need D&R.)

      Was not originally hot on the franchise as I shy away from "giant robot" stuff (Overdone & dumb.) & I had a misconception about the "good guys" & their ultimate goal. Turns out the vast majority are duped into thinking they're saving mankind from an ill defined supernatural/ extraterrestrial menace all the while they're being used to bring about the end of all human life. The "do-gooders" orchestrating this think they're doing everyone a favor! As there have been some things in my life gone awry because of the good intentions of others I found the premise of the series intrigueing. Then there's the rest of the stuff:

1. Take what is seemingly a giant robot slug fest.

2. Add theological trappings from the Book of Revelation, the Gnostic hereseys, & the Cabbalah.

3. Throw in a conspiratorial group of insiders (A Bilderberg/CFR/Illuminati on crack.) literally hell bent on "saving" you wether you want it or not (I ran with a lot of conspiracy chasing groups in my younger days.).

4. Bring in a VERY reluctant hero, a psycho "nazi" chick, & a creepy yet sympathetic semi-clone with a more than subdued personality.

5. Also a dad who's an anti Ward Cleaver, a tech scientist who is much more involved than she lets on & a more than capable female military officer who also doubles as "the beer fairy".

      Toss the above in together with all the color, action, comedy(?), chaos, collateral damage & death you'd expect in an anime & you have the Evangelion franchise.

      Am done with the first six chapters. Intend to get the rest this week. It's gonna be a long week.

 Article copyright © 8-28-2011 Jay Agan

On the Rapture, Third Impact, Armageddon & All That here.
     
Expert Predicts Third Impact to Hit May 21! here.     
     
Evangelion 2.0: I Can (Not) Get Into This here.

Go to Main Page here.

DISCLAIMER: All images used on this blog are strictly copyrights of their owners. I do not claim credit/ownership for any images used here in my blog unless stated otherwise. If I have offended anyone by posting any images on my blog, please contact me via email and I will remove specified image(s) ASAP.

This article (only) may be copied in whole or in part. Please cite proper credit & backlink.

4 comments:

  1. If you choose to sell "End" after viewing, please LMK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll keep "End". Thanx for inquiring though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh...a completist!

    I did in fact find a decent copy online after my comment. It is on the way.

    Shinji is such a dreadful little whiner. Gendo has much to be judged for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Asuka growls while she whines. The nice thing about the rebuild series is you get less of Shinjis' whining. Gendo, Lorenz, Romney, Obama, I don't like that bunch at all.

    I understand E 3.33 will be released to theaters in fall 2012. A whole dang year to wait!

    ReplyDelete