Monday, January 20, 2014

SNSD, Girls Generation, So Nyu Shi Dae, Oh! I See!

SNSD/Girls Generation/So Nyu Shi Dae parody with the Azumanga Daioh cast of
characters. L-R: Ayumu "Osaka" Kasuga, Chiyo-chan Mihama, Kagura, Sakaki,
Kaorin Aida, Yukari Tanizaki, Minamo "Nyamo" Kurosawa, Tomo Takino
and Koyomi "Yomi" Mizuhara.


SNSD, Girls Generation, So Nyu Shi Dae, Oh! I See!

About two and a half years ago, I posted an Azumanga article titled: Azumanga Daioh ... Well THAT Was Dumb!. It was about my confusion with the reversible DVD jacket labels  that came with the disks.

With it, I used the above illustration to head the article. The clothing and posing styles told me that this had to be a parody of some kind and I inquired as to what it was in the caption.

Soon after, a reader sent a link in the comments to this:

K-Pop "girl group": SNSD/So Nyu Shi Dae/Girls Generation.


I thought is was from an ad of some kind for a Japanese fashion chain.

Later someone posts in comments: "yay snsd ;D". I thought it might have been some form of Leet.

Another posted in comments: "the picture you posted is a picture of 'girls generation' also known as snsd".

Again, I had no idea and wasn't "inspired" to look it up. Should have ...

A few days back, someone going by the handle of Testemunha de Mozilla, posted this You Tube link in the comments section.

Oh! Now I see!

I tried the link, was glad I did and bookmarked it.

Seems the Girls' Generation group has been around awhile, and is quite popular in Asia.

The thought of something called K-Pop (Korean popular music.) never entered my mind. Now it's gonna stay with me.

The beginning and ending to their Gee! video (From whence the above pics are derived.) remind me of The Twilight Zone episode, The After Hours. See the vid first and check out the TZ ep. You'll see what I mean.


Girls Generation Gee! You Tube video here.

Other Girls Gen. You Tube videos here.

A quite extensive Wikipedia article on Girls Generation here.

After Hours Twilight Zone episode parts 1, 2, 3.

Wikipedia article on the The After Hours Twilight Zone episode here.

Wikipedia article on The Twilight Zone here.

Wikipedia article/review of the anime/manga series: Azumanga Daioh here.

Azumanga Daioh: Well THAT Was Dumb! here.

Some of my other Azumanga Daioh articles 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11.


Go to Jays' Tee Vee blog main page here. If there's a buncha' articles under this one, you're already there.

No comments:

Post a Comment