Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Con Time! Anime Punch/Armageddicon Six

      I attended this con Sat., April 23 & glad I did. Held at the Hyatt Regency in downtown Columbus, Ohio. Small for its size in comparison to others, it more than makes up for it in content. The two seminars I went to certainly made it well worth it.

     The Brad Swaile interview/seminar was informative as well as entertaining. As an out of work/agent voice actor I had gotten some useful info. "As long as you don't get in competition with me, good luck to you." I'd be happy just to do local commercials & only need to get by with a part time day job.

     Though I don't collect comic books anymore (OK! OK! Manga!), the Toren Smith interview/seminar about the industry was fascinating. This was also the first time I shook hands with a real life cartoon character! (Yeah! Yeah! ANIME!) The years have not been kind to Mr. Smith. He doesn't look anywhere near as youthful as he did in Gunbuster.

     The dealers room was reasonably sized/priced. Picked up Last Exile, Evangelions 1.11 & 2.22 (The "wierdism" finally sucked me in. Human Instrumentality Project!? Hell no! I won't go!), & the Azumanga Daioh soundtrack CD. All these from Fast Food Anime.

      I also picked up a couple of t-shirts at the Aardvark Screenprinting table & spent too much time there watching You Tube parodies. Aardvark Screenprinting is owned/operated by a somewhat unhinged individual named Weatherly Hardy who preys upon peoples' minds through the medium of t-shirts. As I am of strong will & mind, I was totally un ......  af ..... ect ..... ed ..... by ..... this .........................

     Also viewed a five ep "sampler" of a very different anime, Yokohama Shopping Journal which I intend on getting & will do a review in the near future. When that concluded I headed off to the folks. It was Easter weekend after all.

     Though I only attended about eight hours & the con comparatively small, I have every intention of coming back next year. I got a lot out of a "little".

Jay Agan

No comments:

Post a Comment