Thursday, June 7, 2012

Ray Bradbury: A Giant Has Departed

Ray Bradbury drawing from the NY Times Book Review.


                                      Ray Bradbury: A Giant Has Departed

      This was the guy who gave me my initial boost out of the kiddy sandbox in regard to Sci-Fi & fantasy. Before that it was pretty much cartoons & comic books where I got my "fix". After this, I was out of the juvenile stuff for good.

... Dad bought this book & left it laying around ...

      I remember back in the sixties Dad bought this book & left it laying around. Picking it up I read a few of the stories. It confused me a bit as the "science fiction" I then knew & loved was about spaceships, ray guns & giant bugs. While some of these elements were contained therein most of the stories were of either a subtler kind or downright weird. The one about the astronauts being "replaced" through disection gave me a weeks worth of the "willies"!

      Rest in peace sir. You opened up new worlds to me. I hope the one you're in now is beyond even your wildest imagination. I mean that in a good way. God bless you sir.


Wikipedia Ray Bradbury bio here.

Review of The Machineries of Joy here.

The Aardvarks' tribute here.

Aardvarks' Plumbline here.

Go to Main Page here.

No comments:

Post a Comment